Dr. Ryan Fitzgerald was born in Charlottesville, Virginia and spent his childhood between living overseas and in central Virginia. He attended Hampden Sydney College, in Virginia, where he earned a Bachelor’s degree in Biology. Upon graduation, he pursued a career in medicine, and moved to Miami, Florida, where attended Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. While enrolled at Barry University, Dr. Fitzgerald earned top marks in his didactic and clinical coursework –consistently earning a place on the Dean’s and President’s lists, as well as earning both Leadership and Faculty scholarships. He graduated at the top of his class and was inducted into the Pi Delta National Podiatry Honor Society in recognition of his outstanding scholastic achievement. He was also awarded the American Board of Podiatric Surgery’s prestigious Michael L. Stone Professional Conduct Award. Following graduation, Dr. Fitzgerald pursued his residency training at the MEDSTAR Washington Hospital Center, and at Georgetown University Hospital, in Washington D.C. This program provided vast exposure to all facets of podiatric medical and surgical care, including advanced wound care techniques, diabetic limb salvage, pediatric deformity correction and reconstructive and trauma surgery of the foot and ankle.
Dr. Fitzgerald has a passion for medical missions and has served as a volunteer surgeon on missions around the world, most recently in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, where he worked alongside Haitian wound care specialists to perform limb-sparing surgery, and in Jordan, where Dr. Fitzgerald served with a multinational team that that provides medical and surgical care to patients suffering as a consequence of the on-going Syrian refugee crisis.
- Residency, MEDSTAR Washington Hospital Center, and at Georgetown University Hospital, in Washington D.C
- Board certified in Foot Surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (AFBAS)
- Board Certified in Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS)
- Member, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Member, American Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, Georgia Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, South Carolina Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, Virginia Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, Society of Vascular Surgery